D.R. Jones' Division, Longstreet's Command
Brig. Gen. D.R. Jones, Commanding.
September 17, 1862.
About 7.30 a.m., Col. Geo. T. Anderson's Brigade moved from Cemetery Hill to the left near the Dunker Church.
The Federal Batteries beyond the Antietam continued their heavy fire, which was answered by the Confederate guns.
Five companies of the 11th Georgia Infantry reinforced the right of Toombs' Brigade opposite Snavely's Ford and, about 1 p.m., Toombs was driven from Burnside Bridge and Snavely's Ford, by the Ninth Corps, which crossed at those points and, about 3 p.m., advanced upon Sharpsburg. At that hour Toombs was slowly falling back to the Antietam Furnace Road west of this point.
(Second, continuation, tablet):
Kemper's Brigade and J.S. Brown's (Va.) Battery were on the high ground about 650 yards west, Drayton's Brigade was on Kemper's left.
Walker's (Jenkins') Brigade held the stone mill and house on either side of the Sharpsburg Road and the southwest slope of Cemetery Hill.
Garnett's Brigade held the south and southwest slope of Cemetery Hill with its left resting on the Boonsboro Pike. The right of the advancing Federal line was held in check by Garnett and Walker and the massed Artillery on Cemetery Hill and the high ground west of the Sharpsburg Road. Kemper and Drayton were driven through the town and, the right of the Division having been turned, Garnett and the Artillery were withdrawn. Walker yielded some ground but did not abandon Cemetery Hill. Upon the advance of A.P. Hill's Division on the Federal left and rear, the Brigades of Toombs, Kemper, Drayton, and Garnett reformed on the Antietam Furnace Road, took position on Hill's left and, advancing with his Division re-occupied, substantially, the ground from which they had been driven. The entire Division remained on the field until the night of the 18th, when it recrossed the Potomac.