On the morning of September 17, 1862, this bridge was defended by the 2d and 20th Georgia of Toombs' Brigade and the 50th Georgia of Drayton's Brigade. The 20th Georgia was on the high wooded bluff immediately opposite this end of the Bridge, and the 2d and 50th Georgia in open order, supported by one company of Jenkins' S.C. Brigade, continued the line to Snavely's Ford. One company of the 20th Georgia was on the narrow wooded strip north of this point between the creek and the Sharpsburg road. Richardson's Battery of the Washington Artillery was posted on the high ground about 500 yards northwest and Eubank's (Va.) Battery on the bluff north of an overlooking the Bridge. The Artillery on Cemetery Hill commanded the Bridge and the road to Sharpsburg.
At 9 a.m. Crook's Brigade of the Ninth Corps, moving from the ridge northeast of the bridge, attempted to cross it but failed. Soon after the 2d Maryland and the 6th New Hampshire, of Nagle's Brigade, charging by the road from the south were repulsed. At 1 p.m. the bridge was carried by an assault of Ferero's Brigade, and the defenders, after a vain effort to check Rodman's Division, moving by Snavely's Ford on their right flank fell back to the Antietam Furnace road and reformed on the outskirts of the town of Sharpsburg.