Reserve Artillery, Longstreet's Command,
Colonel Stephen D. Lee, C.S.A., Commanding.
Ashland (Va.) Artillery, Madison (La.) Artillery,
Bedford (Va.) Artillery, Eubanks' (Va.) Artillery,
Brooks (S.C.) Artillery, Parker's (Va.) Battery.
(September 17, 1862.)
At daybreak of the 17th the Ashland Artillery, the Bedford Artillery, the Brooks Artillery and Parker's Battery, went into position on the ridge east of the Dunkard Church. At about 7 a.m., the Brooks Artillery was withdrawn and the Madison Artillery took its place, one section advancing to the open field north. About 8:15 a.m., the batteries were withdrawn to a position west of the Hagerstown Road and about 600 yards south of the Dunkard Church. At 9 a.m. they were withdrawn to Sharpsburg. At 3 p.m. they formed on the high ground commanding the Boonsboro Pike and the Middle Bridge over the Antietam. Eubanks' Battery was detached from the battalion on the 15th and was in support to Toombs' Brigade in front of the Burnside Bridge.