When German immigrant and founder of Hagerstown,Jonathan Hager, arrived in this country in 1736, westernMaryland area was frontier. Maryland's colonial governorwas offering cheap land to those willing to settle here. In 1739, Hager obtained 200 acres which he called "Hager Fancy" andbegan building this home. He presented his new bride, Germanneighbor Elizabeth Kershner, with their new home in 1740.
Hager House's 22" stone walls offered protection from attackand the elements. Rye straw and mud filler between floors andpartitions provided insulation. Two cool springs under thehouse made the basement a pleasant retreat on hot summer days.
Jonathan Hager grew prosperous here. He opened a trading post in his new home and acquired more land. In 1745, he sold "Hager's Fancy" to Jacob Rohrer for a substantial profit. Hager House remained in the Rohrer family until 1944 when it was purchased by the Washington County Historical Society. It was presented to the City of Hagerstown in 1954 and wasopened to the public in 1962.
Today, restored and furnished, Hager House offers a glimpse of 18th century life. The adjacent Hager Museum houses an extensive collection of period artifacts, including many itemsdiscovered during the restoration of the Hager House.
Little Heiskell. The creation of a German tinsmith named Heiskell, "Little Heiskell" is a Hessian soldier weather vane. Little Heiskel hasbecome the symbol of the City of Hagerstown. The weather vane, now on permanent display at the Hager Museum, once adornedthe cupola atop City Hall. During the Civil War, a Confederatesharpshooter reportedly fired a mini-hall through LittleHeiskell's "heart."