Anderson's Division, Longstreet's Command
Maj. Gen. R.H. Anderson Commanding.
(September 17, 1862)
Anderson's Division comprising the brigades of Cumming, Wright, Pryor, Mahone, Featherstone, and Armistead crossed the Potomac at Blackford's Ford about daybreak and between 9 and 10 a.m. arrived upon this part of the field. Armistead's Brigade was sent to the support of McLaws in the Dunkard Church woods and the other five brigades were disposed in the apple orchard and on open ground either side of it, between this and Piper's Lane. The division advanced in support of a part of D.H. Hill's Division, then heavily engaged, and after a stubborn contest in which portions of the division reached this point, it was repulsed with heavy loss and fell back to Piper's Lane and the Hagerstown Pike.