A Hamilton County Institution
? ? ? Authorized by Act of the General Assembly, 1895. The first Board of Trustees met March 7th 1896. Present were the Reverend J.W. Bachman, President: Major Charles D. McGuffy, Secretary: J.S. Bell, Treasurer; Judge Seth M. Walker; and Squire L.W. Bates.
? ? ? On January 4th, 1898 the Col. Jarrett G. Dent plantation, later known as "Bonnie Oaks Farm at Jersey," was purchased. J.C. Kalleen was engaged as first superintendent. The first student was admitted February 22, 1898 "at the request of his mother, his father being dead."
? ? ? The Negro Department was opened April 28th, 1898.
? ? ? July 31, 1899 a deed to the adjoining Trimble farm was presented to the School by Z. C. Patten, Sr. for a Girls' Department.
"MIGHTY OAKS FROM LITTLE ACORNS GROW!"