In 1797, Thomas Stanton conveyed water rights to Jesse Tomlinson, and Tomlinson built the first grist mill on the site of Col. Dunbar's 1755 hospital encampment.
The mill was prime reason for settlement in this area. In addition to being an important source of grain products for man and beast, the mill served as the nerve center for the area—a place for voting, bartering and news-gathering. Like the three roads and the three bridges nearby, the mill represents major epochs in milling: undershot wheel, 1797-1898; overshot wheel, 1899-1927; modified water-driven turbine, 1928-1943; electric power, 1944-present.
In the 1860s, the mill property was returned to Stanton ownership when it was purchased by William Stanton. The mill was operated by Stantons for five generations until 1989, when Penn Alps purchased the mill from Byron Robert Bender.
Plans are under way for the restoration of Stanton's Mill and with it, a major part of the region's story. All information, stories, restoration expertise and donations are welcome.