(back) The Hawley Grade from April 3, 1860 to November 17, 1860 was used by the Pony Express. On November 18, 1860 the new toll road down Johnson Pass (Echo Summit), today's Old Meyers Grade, was opened to horse traffic and was now used by the Pony Express. It was built by David Demmen Kingsbury and John McDonald. This new route was opened to wagons on February 5, 1861.
At the foot of the new grade was the Osgood Toll House run by Neamiah "Nemi" Osgood.
The former "Lake Valley House" Pony Express Station located a the foot of the Hawley Grade was replaced by "Yank's" Pony Express Station. It was named after Ephraim "Yank" Clement. He sold it to George Meyers in 1873 and C.G. Celio & Sons acquired it in 1903. "Yank's" Station was destroyed by the November 25, 1938 Meyers Fire. ? 2002 Joe Nardone
In Search of the Pony Express Station Marker · Dedicated September 14, 2002 · Yank'sAdded Station · Nov. 18, 1860- Nov. 20, 1861 · Site Located 210? true and 105′.
[Dedicated] By James Stretesky, Lira's Supermarket, William & Judith Schatz, Tahoe Heritage Foundation, The Pioneering Celio Family, Lake Tahoe Historical Society, Pony Express Trail Association.