The present St. Peter's Church is the third building to stand on this site.
St. Peter's Church was built as a chapel on a a two-acre site. It was completed in 1772, at a cost of 600 English pounds, and measured 45 feet by 65 feet. Many knew it then as "Head of River Chapel" or "Salisbury Chapel".
By 1789, St. Peter's had fallen into disrepair. To rebuild it, some of the property was sold, which now corresponds with today's downtown Salisbury. The rebuilt church and much of Salisbury was destroyed by fire in 1860.
The second St. Peter's Church was erected in 1862. A rose window was added, along with other touches of the Romanesque style. Its deep-toned bell sounded the town's fire alarm.
On Sunday, October 17, 1886, as the bell was calling the evening service, fire broke out in a livery stable in Salisbury. The church and most of Salisbury was again destroyed by fire.
The third and preset St. Peter's was completed in 1887, and celebrated its first service, the Holy Eucharist, at 6AM on Christmas Day, 1887.
A triptych stands above the alter. Our Lord is in the center panel, with St. Mary and St. John standing in reverence and adoration at his side. St. Peter and St. Paul are the side panels, with Moses and the apostles at the base.