First flown in May 1958, the Phantom II originally was designed for the US Navy and entered service in 1961. The US Air Force evaluated it for close air support, interdiction and counter-air operations in 1961 and, in 1962, approved an AF version. The F-4C made its first flight on May 27, 1963. In its air-to-ground role the F-4 can carry twice the normal bomb load of a WW II B-17 aircraft.
The first production F-4Cs were delivered to the 4453rd Combat Crew Training Wing at McDill AFB, FL in January 1964, the 12th Tactical Fighter Wing (TFW) became the first combat wing to convert to the F-4C and took them to Cam Rahn Bay AB, South Vietnam in 1965. F-4 production ended in 1979 after over 5,000 had been built, more than 2,600 for the USAF, 1,200 for the Navy and Marine Corp and the rest for Allied foreign nations.
This F-4C S/N 64-0817 was last flown by the 3246th Test Wing at Eglin AFB, FL on 5 May 1986. It was given to the AF Armament Museum for display. It is being depicted as F-4C 64-0813, an aircraft which was assigned to the 12th TFW. This is in tribute to a "tough" aircraft and the first unit to use it in combat.
Manufacturer McDonnell Douglas Corp
Thrust Two General Electric J79-Ge-15/17 Turbojet engines rated at 17,000 -18,500 lbs of thrust w/afterburners
Length 62 ft 11 in
Height 16 ft 6 in
Wingspan 38 ft 5 in
Weight 28,276 lbs Empty / 58,000 lbs Max
Speed 1,459 mph Max / 590 mph Cruise
Range 1,375 miles w/tanks
Ceiling 59,600 ft
Armament Up to 16,000 lbs of externally carried nuclear or conventional bombs, rockets, missiles or 20mm cannon pods in various combinations, the F-4E had a internal mounted 20mm Cannon
This aircraft is on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force