The two-place T-33 jet was designed for training pilots already qualified to fly propeller-driven aircraft. It was developed from the single-seat F-80 fighter by lengthening the fuselage slightly more than three feet to accommodate a second cockpit.
Originally designed the TF-80C, the T-33 made its first flight in March 1948. Production continued until August 1959 with 5.691 T-33s built. In addition to its use as a trainer, the T-33 has been used for such tasks as drone director and target towing, and in some countries even as a combat aircraft. The RT-33A version, reconnaissance aircraft produced primarily for use by foreign countries, had a camera installed in the nose and additional equipment in the rear cockpit.
The T-33 is one of the world's best known aircraft, having served with the air forces of more than 20 different countries for almost 40 years. Many are still in use throughout the world.
This T-33A aircraft S/N 53-5947 on display was last flown by the 325th Fighter Weapons Wing at Tyndall AFB, FL.
Manufacturer Lockheed Aircraft
Thrust One — Allison J33-A-35 Turbojet engine rated at 5,400 lbs of thrust
Length 37 ft 9 in
Height 11 ft 8 in
Wingspan 38 ft 11 in
Weight 8,084 lbs Empty / 15,000 lbs Max
543 mph Max / 455 mph Cruise
Range 1343 Miles
Ceiling 47,500 ft
This aircraft is on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force