1912 - 2008Always known as the Stewart Street Bridge, the seven span reinforced concrete steel arch bridge carried Stewart Street over the Great Miami River for most of the twentieth century. Built using the Melan System, an invention patented in 1893 that used steel arches encased in concrete, the bridge survived the devastating flood of 1913 and inspired other Ohio communities to replace bridges lost in the flood with concrete bridges. Like the Washington Street Bridge and the Monument Avenue Bridge that stood upstream from 1906 to 2006, and 1908 to 2008, respectively, the Concrete-Steel Engineering Company of New York designed the bridge. In 1912, Daytonians E.M Gephart and Robert E. Kline built the bridge. In 1994, the Ohio Department of Transportation and The Ohio Historic Preservation Office determined that the bridge was historically significant and eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, April 2nd, 2017 at 5:04pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 740399 N 4402638|
|Decimal Degrees||39.73976667, -84.19451667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 44.386', W 84° 11.671'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 44' 23.16" N, 84° 11' 40.26" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||513, 937|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Great Miami River Recreational Trail, Dayton OH 45417, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|