Founder of Sausalito
—1795 - 1856 —In 1822, English-born Richardson arrived in San Francisco Bay on the whaler "Orion." After his baptism at Mission Dolores, he married Maria Antonia Martinez, daughter of the Commandante of the Presidio. In 1835, he founded Pueblo Yerba Buena, later named San Francisco. Appointed Captain of the Port, he dutifully served there for over a decade. Richardson was granted a 19,000 acre peninsula known as Rancho Sausalito, extending from the bay to the ocean and from the Golden Gate to Mt. Tamalpias. In 1956, he died landless. Richardson Bay exists as a tribute to the founder of Sausalito.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Series||This marker is part of the E Clampus Vitus series|
|Placed By||E Clampus Vitus, Yerba Buena No. 1|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, April 1st, 2017 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 545848 N 4190154|
|Decimal Degrees||37.85770000, -122.47880000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 51.462', W 122° 28.728'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 51' 27.72" N, 122° 28' 43.68" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 100-138 Spinnaker Dr, Sausalito CA 94965, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|