Rockville Town Square Historical

Rockville Town Square Historical (HM1XL7)

Location: Rockville, MD 20850 Montgomery County
Country: United States of America

N 39° 5.111', W 77° 9.065'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 40 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
Rockville started in the 1750s as a tiny Village Crossroads. It was called Owens Ordinary, Hungerford's Tavern, Montgomery Court House, Williamsburgh, and finally in 1803 Rockville. § Route 355 began as an Indian path that later became a colonial route to America's western frontier. § Tobacco Planters came through Rockville in the 18th century on rolling roads as they shipped crops to the port of George Town and Bladensburg. § On maps dated 1791 roads known today as Veirs Mill, Route 28 West, the Rockville Pike, Great Falls and Baltimore Road appear and meet at the center of our then tiny village.

Hungerford Drive was built in 1951 as the Rockville By-Pass to channel through traffic around the main commercial street. § The Post Office ran rural routes out of Rockville until the mid 1950s. § The Washington National Pike (now I-270) opened in 1957 to connect Washington D.C. with Frederick County as part of the National system of Interstate and Defense Highways. § Ride-On Buses started operating in Rockville in 1981. § Metrorail's Red Line extended to Rockville and Shady Grove in 1984. § A partial Circumferential Highway including Gude Drive, Wooton Parkway and First Street was completed in 1991.

Twenty years after the Rockville Pike was taken over
Panel 2
by the State Roads Commission it became one of Maryland's First Paved Roads (1920s). § Rockville's First Traffic Signal (1927 was a stop-and-go light at Montgomery Avenue and Washington Street. In 2006 Rockville had 48 traffic signals. § Bus Service arrived in Rockville in the 1930s. § Congressional Airport operated on the Rockville Pike form 1928 to 1959. § The town installed Parking Meters in the business district in 1946 and initiated a SmoothSeal program of road maintenance in 1959.

Investors chartered the Washington Turnpike Company in 1805 to build a road from Georgetown to Rockville — The Rockville Pike. § In the 1860s, the Rockville Pike was a Well-Used route for escaping slaves and Civil War Armies. § The Railroad came through Montgomery County in 1873, opening Rockville as a summer resort and commuter town of Washington, D.C. § From 1900 to 1935, Trolley Cars carried passengers between Georgetown and Rockville. § In 1913 Rockville raised the Speed Limit to 10 mph.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1XL7
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Thursday, March 30th, 2017 at 9:02pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18S E 313948 N 4328432
Decimal Degrees39.08518333, -77.15108333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 39° 5.111', W 77° 9.065'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds39° 5' 6.66" N, 77° 9' 3.9" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)240, 301, 410, 202
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 118 E Middle Ln, Rockville MD 20850, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?