Eureka was originally launched as the Ukiah, a rail car and passenger ferry. She ran between San Francisco and Tiburon for the San Francisco and Northern Pacific Railroad, later the Northwestern Pacific.
Between 1920 and 1922 Ukiah was totally rebuilt as the automobile ferry Eureka. She ran to Marin until 1941, and to Oakland until 1957, one of the last auto ferries on the bay.
Eureka's huge single cylinder "walking beam" engine is the last such engine afloat in this country. Technically outdated by the 1890s, these slow turning paddle engines remained popular for their simplicity and reliability.
Built: 1890, Tiburon, California
Builder: San Francisco and North Pacific Railroad, George Dickie, Contactor.
Length Overall -1299 feet , 6 inches
Beam Over Guards - 78 feet, 6 inches
Draft - 10 feet
Gross Tonnage - 2420
Engine Type - Single cylinder walking beam