This area was originally a part of the Town of Norwich "nine miles square" acquired from the sachems of the Mohegan Indians in June 1659, a portion of which later was known as the New Concord Society. In the early 1700's this land, west-northwest of the Norwich Town Plot, was opened to additional settlers. The nature of the region, being wild and rugged, presented a challenge to the pioneers. Settlement began and the area developed rapidly. New Concord Society was organized and approved by the General Assembly in 1737. A site was accepted in 1739 for the construction of a meetinghouse, which was erected soon after. In 1786 the members of New Concord Society, by action of the General Assembly, were "hereby incorporated into a distinct Town by the name of Bozrah," and thus became the eighty-sixth town in the State of Connecticut, believed to be the only one with this name in the Country. The name is of Hebrew origin meaning an enclosure or sheepfold.
Erected by the Town of Bozrah
and the Connecticut Historical Commission