In 1849, Lewis Perryman, one of the most prominent ranchers and traders in the Creek Nation, built a ranch complex on Crow Creek in the southwest corner of what is now Zink Park.
After the Civil War, the ranch was operated by Lewis' son, George. In 1879, his headquarters, near what is today 38th and Troost, became the first post office in the region to be officially designated "Tulsa".
The earliest identified burial in the Perryman Cemetery took place in 1879, although the site is probably a fragment of an earlier, larger burying ground.
The Cemetery is the city's oldest, continuously occupied tract of land. The last interment was in 1941.
Mary and Newman Perryman deeded the Cemetery to the Tulsa Historical Society in 1987.