The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) operated nationwide between 1933 and 1942 to conserve natural resources and to provide work for young men during the Great Depression. The Federal program provided employment for 2.5 million young men working out of 3,000 camps. Roughly 50,000 Texans were enrolled in the CCC and made a significant contribution to the development of the state's park system. The colorful frontier history of Fort Griffin and the need for its preservation prompted citizens of Shackelford County to donate the historic site to the state. The National Park Service approved a new CCC camp at Fort Griffin State Park in 1939. Crews from existing camps in Cleburne and Lockhart arrived in 1939 and 1940. In the spring of 1940, as original company members were discharged, local area men signed up and were assigned to Fort Griffin. Many of these men enrolled in classes at the camp and local high school, and participated in local sports and activities.175 Years of Texas Independence ★ 1836 - 2011
Around 200 men completed a stone pavilion, park roads, 24 table and bench combinations, 14 camp fire places, two latrines, surveys of the park, a water drainage system and entrance gate, and planted trees and shrubs on hundreds of acres. Although some local groups hoped that the focus would be on the restoration of historical features, most of the work completed at the time
was on recreational amenities. The rock gate, roads, fort ruins and pavilion remain at the site. The camp was abandoned on Dec. 1, 1941. Many of the young men went straight into military service and WWII. In the 1940s, many buildings used by the CCC were moved to military camps or schools throughout Texas.