Central Texas native Malcolm Reed followed his father into business and ultimately became a leading cotton exporter. He wed Margaret "Maggie" Badger of Marble Falls in 1898, and in 1908, they moved to Austin. In 1929, they moved into their new home at this site. Designed by noted architect Hal Thomson, the home retains much of its original Italian Renaissance design, including a low-pitch hip roof, brackets, recessed porch and elaborate detailing. The home remained in the Reed family, passing on to daughter Margaret and her husband Joseph Cocke, until 1990.