As early as 1910, there was an electric sign atop this building that could be seen after dark from many vantage points throughout the City of Scranton. In early photos it reads "Watch Scranton Grow". Later the message was changed to "Scranton - The Electric City" to celebrate the city's position as the first in the United States with a commercially viable electric street car line. The sign burned brightly for over six decades until it was extinguished in the early 1970's, a victim of the economic times. On December 9, 2004, the Electric City sign came to life once again, a symbol of a resurgent Scranton.
The restoration of the Electric City sign was made possible by a community-wide fund raising campaign. Through the generosity of these donors, the sign will continue to shine as an icon of our past and a beacon to our future.
Principal Sponsors · Donors
[Marker on building window]
In 1896, a group of developers erected Scranton's first skyscraper just to the north of Courthouse Square. Looking to garner as much prestige as possible for their new property, they offered the Board of Trade space for nominal rent of $36 per month - in exchange for the privilege of calling the structure the Board of Trade
Building. The huge sign was not added until after 1923, when [the] Electric Company acquired the building. The sign has been changed several times over the years, but it remains the city's most prominent nocturnal landmark.
John Beck (1986)
Never Before in History
The Story of Scranton