From Sawmill to Wherley's

From Sawmill to Wherley's (HM1WXD)

Location: Glen Rock, PA 17327 York County
Country: United States of America

N 39° 47.6701', W 76° 43.9526'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 183 views
Pictures
Photo Credits: [1] SEPTEMBERSPARROW1666  [2] SEPTEMBERSPARROW1666  
Inscription
From Sawmill to Wherley's

In 1832 Simon Koller built a sawmill at this location which he operated until 1837 by which time he was ready to move. On March 31, 1837 Koller sold his farm to a young Englishman named William Heathcote who built a wooden mill adjacent to the Koller sawmill which was included with the farm. The sawmill stopped operating prior to 1880. During 1880 the Glen Rock Chair Works opened for business in the sawmill building.

In 1885 Israel Glatfelter decided to expand his business interests in town and purchased what had become the Glen Rock Flour Mill property. His business interests go back to 1871 when he started a tailoring business.

In May 1893 Glatfelter cleaned out the foundation of the old Koller sawmill to build his new clothing store which opened in December and introduced something new in town - large glass windows to display merchandise.

In 1903 Glatfelter sold out to Joe Miller who opened the Water Street Clothing Store. In 1906 Walter L. Seigman and E. Oscar Wherley bought Miller's stock and began a business, Seigman and Wherley's, which developed into something which almost defies description in a few words.

Besides selling clothing, hats, shoes, gent's furnishing and goods, they also sold car parts, gasoline, bicycles, motorcycles, guns, ammo and on and on. Between 1908 and 1918 they were agents for Ford and Maxwell cars. In 1913 they were instrumental in organizing the Glen Rock Motor Club.

Edwin Oscar Wherley passed away in 1946, at which time his son and daughter-in-law, Frank and Clare became the owners of the property and business. It was a sad day in Glen Rock on November 30, 1996 as this was the end of the line for a business that carried the Wherley name for ninety years - operated for forty years by partner E. Oscar Wherley and another fifty by Frank and Clare Wherley.

Plaque presented to the community in 2016 by Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society, the Wherley family, PeoplesBank, American Legion, and the Glen Rock Mill Inn.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1WXD
Tags
Historical Period20th Century, 19th Century
Historical PlaceTown, Mill
Marker TypeHistoric Building
Marker ClassHistorical Marker
Marker StyleMounted
Year Placed2016
Placed ByPlaque presented to the community in 2016 by Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society, the Wherley family, PeoplesBank, American Legion, and the Glen Rock Mill Inn.
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, February 20th, 2017 at 6:02am PST -08:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)43T E 654174 N 4452577
Decimal Degrees39.79450100, -76.73254300
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 39° 47.6701', W 76° 43.9526'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds39° 47' 40.2036" N, 76° 43' 57.1548" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)717
Can be seen from road?Yes
Is marker in the median?No
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 48 Water St, Glen Rock PA 17327, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker could use another picture or two.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. Which side of the road is the marker located?