In the early 1900s, a two acre parcel of land north of LaGrange Community Church and Cemetery was given to the Mims colored community for a cemetery. Earliest marked graves are dated 1903; many are unmarked. In the 1800s both blacks and whites worshipped at the LaGrange Community Church. In 1894, after organizing their own congregation, St James Colored Missionary Baptist Church acquired land in Mims and in 1904 built their own church. In June 1913, trustees of that church purchased this parcel from the East Coast Cattle Company to be used as a cemetery, then referred to as the Mims Colored Cemetery. Many of North Brevard's pioneering black families rest in this hallowed ground with family names of Abrams, Bell, Brothers, Brown, Campbell, Cuyler, Grant, Gibson, Highsmith, McKenzie, Mitchell, Seigler, Simms, Strickland, Warren, and Williams.
Most noted are the graves of Harry T. Moore and Harriette V. Simms Moore, civil rights activists. Moore was chapter president of Brevard County National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and later NAACP Florida Convention president/state coordinator. On Christmas Eve, 1951 the Moores were killed when their home, located near this site, was bombed.