The Pomme de Terre river which flows through the city of Appleton provided valuable water power to the early settlers. At this point on the river, a dam was built to improve the water power for a flour mill which stood on the north end of main street. Construction of the mill began in 1871 and was completed in 1872. In the 1880s, W.J. Jennison purchased the mill making improvements as various times until the mill became the leading business in a
Appleton. In 1905, flames engulfed the mill leaving it in a mass of ruins. By the middle of January, 1906, a new mill had been built and was in operation. The same year, work began on an elevator consisting of six huge tanks for storage of 100,000 bushels of grain. In 1911, the mill erected a 90 ft. steel tower & tank to provide water pressure for the mill's sprinkler system. The mill changed from steam to electric power in 1930.
In 1960, W.J. Jennison Co. Flour Mill merged with Springfield Milling Corp. who transferred the business to Springfield in 1961 putting an end to flour milling in Appleton. In 1962, the mill was sold to Appleton Farm Chemicals. The building for the flour mill & storage granaries were torn down in June, 1981. The Mill Pond Dam was demolished in 1999.