On this site the Catholic Convent of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary was located
In April of 1898 it was graciously offered and converted to a 400 bed United States Army Hospital for the treatment of soldiers and sailors, ill with dangerous tropical diseases or wounded in battle, during Cuba's War of Independence.
In spite of the great danger, the following Sisters of The Convent cared for the afflicted; Sister Superior M. Florentine, Sister Simon, Visitation, Damien, L'Evangelista, Thomas, Hormisdas, Laurentius, Marguerite de Cortona, Egidius, Berenice, Ambroise de Sienna, Antoine de Jesus, Dolores, Catherine de Palanza, L. Gabriel, Anthony, Maurice, Domitille, Gaspard, Ulderic, Tharslie and Silvestre.
Volunteer United States Army Nurses serving here were Margaret Shaffer, Alice Lyons, Agnes Lease, Jennie Sherrian, Anna Fox and Johnetta Sanger. U.S. Army Doctors were W. C. Borden, S. Armstrong, B. Baker, H. Jackson and D. Hall.
The first U.S. Army post combat use of the X-Ray (then called Rontgen Ray) to locate bullets or shrapnel in wounded soldiers was performed at this hospital. This avoided the painful, dangerous and sometimes fatal practice of probing wounds with steel instruments, virtually blind, for the foreign matter.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Members of the following
military units were treated here during the War of 1898.
Regular U.S. Cavalry, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 10th and 25th, the 9th and 10th were composed of "Buffalo Soldiers".
Volunteer U.S. Cavalry, the 1st USVC Regiment "Rough Riders", commanded by Colonel and later President Theodore Roosevelt.
U.S. Artillery, the 2nd, 4th and 5th
Regular U.S. Infantry, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 12th 13th, 16th 17th 20th, 21st, 22nd, 24th and 25th.
Volunteer U.S. Infantry, the 2nd and 71st New York
Hospital Corps, the 17th
Regular U.S. Navy, shipmates of the following U.S. vessels; USS Machias, Mangrove, Wilmington, Fern, and the USS Newark