· The School of Application reopened with eight students.
· The School of Application closed again as students embarked for the Philippine Insurrection and the Chinese Boxer Rebellion.
Between 1901 and 1920, the School was plagued with constant class interruptions due to deployments and faced a series of name changes, including:
■ Marine Barracks, Annapolis
■ Marine Officers School, Port Royal, SC (Parris Island)
■ Marine Barracks, Norfolk
■ Marine Barracks, Quantico
■ Marine Officers Training School
■ Marine Officers' School
■ Named The Basic School (TBS) in 1920
· First Marines arrived for training at Quantico; large numbers of new officers precluded formal training at the Marine Officers' School and led to the establishment of the Marine Officers Training Camp at Quantico, Virginia. First Marines deployed from Quantico to Europe for WWI
· Demobilization and reorganization of the Marine Corps required several months and it was not until January 1920 that a regular officer's school was reestablished. With migration came evolution, or as Brigadier General Smedley Darlington Butler exclaimed,
"Revolution!" The whole system of Marine officer training changed - change greatly influenced by Colonel John C. Beaumont, who saw the need for a course for field officers, one for company officers, and The Basic School (TBS) to prepare infantry platoon commanders.
· The first official TBS class began. In 1940, the TBS mission was absorbed by three officer training programs when the Corps was tasked with acquiring and training large numbers of new officers in support of massive troop buildups for WWII. Modern warfare and specialization required for a balanced amphibious force demanded a permanent and progressive training center for lieutenants.