Incorporated July 8, 1927The City of Daphne was incorporated July 8, 1927 with a population of 500. its history, however, dates to a much earlier period. Research and artifacts show that Tensaw, Alabama, Choctaw, Creeks, and Seminole Indians all lived in the this area prior to 1557. In 1763, the community of Daphne was known simply as "the Village." The town was officially established on April 9, 1874 and named by the first postmaster's wife after the laurel tree which was also called Daphne. The tree was abundant in this area at that time but population growth and development have now made it rare. In the early 1900s, several Italian families settled in Daphne and brought with them their expertise in agriculture and other areas. The architecture of City Hall reflects a modern version of Italian Renaissance style. The names of streets and businesses surrounding it give further evidence of Daphne's connection to the old world. Sculpture by Frances J. Neumann was dedicated September 24, 2008. In 2008, Daphne's population was approximately 18,000.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||The Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Daphne|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, January 15th, 2017 at 1:01am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16R E 413456 N 3385921|
|Decimal Degrees||30.60271667, -87.90280000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 36.163', W 87° 54.168'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 36' 9.78" N, 87° 54' 10.08" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1705 Co Rd 98, Daphne AL 36526, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|