Named for Arthur R. Wilson, who founded Granite Rock Company on February 14, 1900, this quarry has been the heart of Granite Rock's business since the beginning. In more than a century of continuous operation, the quarry has seen destruction from the Great San Francisco Earthquake of 1906, the economic devastation of the Great Depression, the challenges and opportunities of two World Wars, as well as growth and modernization.
Early mining operations were tough. Men used picks and shovels to mine rock that was hauled by mule-drawn wagons to the railroad siding for shipment. Hand work was gradually replaced by steam shovels and crushers, and mule power was replaced with a steam locomotive. Today the quarry uses a modern fleet of haul trucks and loaders, a giant mobile primary crusher, miles of electronic conveyors, and a computer control screening, crushing and washing plant to produce high quality construction aggregates used in concrete, asphalt, and other applications.