Oliver Building Historical

Oliver Building Historical (HM1W8O)

Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 Broward County
Country: United States of America

N 26° 7.131', W 80° 8.643'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 75 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription

Circa 1912

The façade is constructed in the same basic design configuration and from the actual bricks that existed on the west wall of the Oliver Building demolished in 1996. The original building was built in 1912 soon after most of Ft. Lauderdale's business district was destroyed by fire (Hence, the brick instead of wood). It was constructed to house the Oliver Brothers Company, a dry goods store owned by Frank, James and David Oliver, who arrived in 1895 from North Carolina, was one of the leading citizens of early Ft. Lauderdale. He was a partner in Stranahan & Company and had purchased the company just prior to the fire. The new building sat on the site of the Stranahan & Company Building.

Frank Oliver also built: The Keystone Hotel, the first theater in the City (the Dade); he was the President of the first bank in Ft. Lauderdale; member of the Dade County Commission (prior to the creation of Broward County), and was a ft. Lauderdale City Commissioner.

The Oliver Building was larger than was needed for Oliver Brothers Company, and much of the building was rented to other businesses. The 1918 city directory (the first published)list the following companies: Tyler's Confectionery; Oliver Brothers; Beck's Pharmacy; Guy Phipps news dealer; D.C. Alexander real estate; Broward Grocery Co.; C.C. Rodes seeds; R.W. Burch, D.D.S.;
George W. Hall & Co., insurance; W.I. Evans, attorney; T.F. Evans, attorney; T.F. Moore & Son, vegetable broker; and Oliver Hall. By 1924, Oliver Brothers Company had been renamed the Pioneer Department Store, and in 1926 it relocated to the southeast corner of Las Olas Boulevard and SE First Avenue (present location of the News & Sun Sentinel). Business activity on Brickell Avenue declined as Andrews Avenue became the city's main street. Still over the years, a number of businesses were located in the Oliver Building: the postal Cable Company and then Western Union (37 years); the Miami Herald Bureau; Poinsettia Printing (45 yrs.); several furniture stores; the War Manpower Commission; the State Employment Service; hardware and supply shops; the Riverview Apartments (30 years); and Thompson's Office Supplies (27 years).
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1W8O
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, December 12th, 2016 at 9:01am PST -08:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)17R E 585577 N 2889127
Decimal Degrees26.11885000, -80.14405000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 26° 7.131', W 80° 8.643'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds26° 7' 7.86" N, 80° 8' 38.58" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)954, 352, 561, 754, 786
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 300 SW 1st Ave, Fort Lauderdale FL 33301, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?