In the early 1900's, Southern Pacific Railroad ran tracks down what is now Foothill Expressway connecting Los Altos with San Jose and San Francisco. A railway depot was built not far from here and called "Loyola Corners", after St. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the order of Jesuit priests who originally planned to build Santa Clara University close by in the area presently occupied by the Los Altos Golf and County Club. There were five stops in Los Altos — two at the station house at the top of Main Street, one each at El Monte Avenue and Magdalena and finally at Loyola Corners. At that time, the Loyola Corners area contained many vacant lots, a couple houses, orchards and a few stores. But, by late 1940's and early 50's, Loyola Corners was a bustling little shopping district. Today, the Loyola Corners Business Association runs the Business Improvement District which is responsible for developing and implementing plans for the continued beautification and identification of Loyola Corners.