The Temple of the Most Pure Conception Historical

The Temple of the Most Pure Conception Historical (HM1W0C)

Location: San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato 37700 San Miguel de Allende
Country: Mexico

N 20° 54.873', W 100° 44.745'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 56 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription

San Miguel de Allende - El Corazón de México

—San Miguel de Allende - The Heart of Mexico —

Templo de la Purísima Concepción("Templo de las Monjas")Es parte del proyecto constructivo iniciado a mediados del siglo XVII, a iniciativa de Sor María Josefa Lina de la Canal y Hervás (1736-1770), quien invirtió el caudal heredado de sus padres Manuel Tomás de la Canal y María de Hervás y Flores, para fundar un convento e iglesia dedicada a la Purísima Concepción de María. Para la fábrica de estos inmuebles, se recomendó al maestro en arquitectura Francisco Martínez Gudiño, vecino de la ciudad de Santiago de Querétaro; apoyado por el talento de tres originarios de la villa de San Miguel el Grande: Pedro Joaquín de Tapia y Salvador Antonio Hernández, ambos alarifes (maestros de obras), así como de alférez Francisco de Lara Villagómez, de notoria práctica en diversas obras arquitectónicas de la región. Los planes no se hicieron esperar, pues inmediatamente a la propuesta hecha en 1752 acerca del equipo que sería responsable de la fábrica, fueron trazadas las medidas del conjunto religioso sobre un antiguo y estratégico solar, en el cual habiendo delineado proporciones, distancias y gruesos de paredes, resultaba una iglesia de 61 varas de largo (52 m), 11 varas de ancho (9.21 m) y 16.5 varas de alto (14 m), correspondiendo a una proporción "sexquilátera." Al cuerpo principal, se anexó el alto y bajo coro de 16 varas de largo (13.5 m), dos pasadizos generales, escalera, sacristía interior y exterior, y por encima de éstas últimas, un "niñado." Los trabajos iniciaron hacia el año de 1755. Una década después se inauguró el convento, aunque con grandes ausencias estructurales en el templo: torre, campanario, presbiterio, altares y cúpula, mismos que se concluyeron entre las décadas de 1840 y 1890. La enorme cúpula que ostenta el templo de la Concepción es resultado de las aspiraciones artísticas de Zeferino Gutiérrez, el gran constructor sanmiguelense del siglo XIX, adaptando en el edificio la monumentalidad y solidez de la iglesia de los Inválidos de París. El interior es impresionante por sus magnitudes y la sobriedad que impone el estilo neoclásico del altar mayor. Sobresalen en el complejo, las fuertes rejas del alto y bajo coro, donde se resguarda un retablo de talla dorada que fue obsequiado por uno de los benefactores del siglo XVIII, el conde de Casa de Loja. Posee una valiosa colección pictórica, producto del pincel de importantes escuelas y pintores novohispanos entre ellos Miguel Cabrera, Juan Rodríguez Juárez, Jesús Gómez y Miguel Antonio Martínez de Pocasange. Fuentes: Archivo General de las Indias, Sevilla; México, 1061. Archivo General de la Nación, Reales Cédulas Originales, Vol. 74, Exp. 65. Archivo
Manuel Castañeda, Casa de Morelos, Diocesano, Gobierno Visitas, Informes, Siglo XVIII, San Miguel el Grande, Año de 1766, 0215, Caja 503, Exp. 64. English translation:

Temple of the Most Pure Conception("Temple of the Nuns")This temple is part of the construction project begun in the mid-17th century, on the initiative of Sister María Josefa Lina de la Canal and Hervás (1736- 1770), who invested the inheritance from her parents Manuel Tomás de la Canal and María de Hervás y Flores, to found a convent and church dedicated to the Purísima Concepción de María (The Most Pure Conception of Mary). For the construction of these properties, Francisco Martínez Gudiño, a master of architecture in the city of Santiago de Querétaro was recommended; He was supported by the talent of three workers from the town of San Miguel el Grande: Pedro Joaquin de Tapia and Salvador Antonio Hernandez, both alarifes (masters of works), as well as that of Lieutenant Francisco de Lara Villagómez, well known for diverse architectonic works in the region. Soon after the original proposal was made in 1752 and the construction team assigned to the project, the measures of the temple were traced here on an old and strategically placed lot. After laying out the proportions, distances and the thicknesses of walls, it was to be a church of 61 varas long (52 m), 11 varas wide (9.21
m) and 16.5 varas high (14 m), corresponding to a ratio known as "sexquilátera." To the main body was added both a high and lower chorus of 16 varas long (13.5 m), two general passages, a staircase, both an interior and exterior sacristy, and above these, a "niñado" or nursey. The work began around the year 1755. A decade later the convent was inaugurated, although with great structural absences in the temple: tower, steeple, presbytery, altars and dome, however these were eventually completed between the decades of 1840 and 1890. The enormous dome of the Temple of the Conception is the result of the artistic aspirations of Zeferino Gutiérrez, the great constructor of the 19th century, adapting to this building the monumentality and solidity of the Church of the Invalides of Paris. The interior is impressive in its size and the sobriety imposed by the Neoclassical style of the high altar. The strong metal bars of the upper and lower choir stand out, where a golden altarpiece is guarded which was given by one of the 18th century benefactors, the Count of la Casa de Loja. It has a valuable pictorial collection, the product of important schools and painters of New Spain, among them Miguel Cabrera, Juan Rodríguez Juárez, Jesus Gómez and Miguel Antonio Martínez de Pocasange. Sources: Archivo General de las Indias, Sevilla; México, 1061. Archivo
General de la Nación, Reales Cédulas Originales, Vol. 74, Exp. 65. Archivo Manuel Castañeda, Casa de Morelos, Diocesano, Gobierno Visitas, Informes, Siglo XVIII, San Miguel el Grande, Año de 1766, 0215, Caja 503, Exp. 64.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1W0C
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, November 29th, 2016 at 5:01pm PST -08:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)14Q E 318442 N 2313678
Decimal Degrees20.91455000, -100.74575000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 20° 54.873', W 100° 44.745'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds20° 54' 52.3800" N, 100° 44' 44.7000" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling West
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 23 Canal, San Miguel de Allende Guanajuato 37700, MX
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?