Michigan State CapitolHailed by Michigan citizens as a proud symbol of their young and growing state, this building was dedicated on January 1, 1879. National publications praised its scandal-free construction which took six years, and its thrifty $1,43 million budget. After 110 years of aging and intense use, it was restored (1989-1992) to its former elegance. It is recognized for itsw unparalleled decorative painting, for establishing the domed capitol as an American icon, and for launching the national career of its architect, Elijah E. Myers of Detroit. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1992.
Michigan's Three Capitols
This building is the third to serve as the seat of Michigan state government. When Michigan entered the Union in 1837, the territorial courthouse and capitol in Detroit became the first state capitol. Ten years later, the legislature moved the seat of state government to densely wooded, sparsely populated Lansing Township in Ingham County. The hastily built, two-story wood-frame building with a tin cupola served as Michigan's second capitol until late in 1878. Of Michigan's three capitols, only the third one survives; the first two were destroyed by fire.