Christian County Historical

Christian County Historical (HM1VQX)

Location: Ozark, MO 65721 Christian County
Country: United States of America

N 37° 1.647', W 93° 12.369'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 85 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
Deep in the Missouri Ozarks, Christian County, organized 1859, was one of last 3 of the State's 114 counties to be formed. At the request of pioneer "Mrs. Thomas Neaves" it was named for her native Ky. county honoring Rev. War Col. William Christian. Ozark, platted in 1843 by J.C. and A.N. Farmer near a mill on beautiful spring-fed Finley Creek, became county seat and J.C. Inman laid out an addition.

     Ozark, a thriving town in the 1850's with a fine academy, Ozark High School, was a Union post in the Civil War. An attack was repulsed in Aug., 1862, and in Jan., 1863, the town was evacuated at the approach of General Joseph O. Shelby who burned a blockhouse there. During the war, guerrilla bands and troops raided the countryside.

     To combat lawlessness following the war, the Bald Knobbers, organized as a law and order group, first met on a bald knobbed hill in adjacent Taney County in 1885. In time a number of Bald Knobbers were themselves accused of lawlessness and a number of trials were held in Ozark, and 3 members were executed there, May, 1889.

     Among the hills, valleys, and plains of Christian County are many earth mounds and rock cairns from prehistoric days. In modern times, Osage tribes ceded claims to the region, 1808. Delaware Indians held a land grant in the area, 1818-1829.
Back Side
Their trading post was near Ozark. In the early 1820's, Ohioans settled in the county and Tenn. and Ky. pioneers came in the 1830's.

     The town of Ozark, whose name derives from the French "Aux Arcs," meaning in the country of the Arkansas, serves a tomato, fruit, livestock, dairy, and poultry farming county. In 1883 the Chadwick branch of the Frisco Railroad reached Ozark.

North of Ozark, in a beautiful setting, is Smallin's Cave having one of the largest openings in Missouri. Explorer Henry B. Schoolcraft, who visited the cave in 1818, called it "Winoca." Northwest at Billings a marker recalls the days when the stages of the Butterfield Overland Mail stopped at Ashmore's Relay Station, 1858-1861. Part of southeast Christian County is in Mark Twain National Forest. Over the line in Greene County is Wilson's Creek Battlefield.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1VQX
Series This marker is part of the Missouri: State Historical Society of Missouri series
Tags
Year Placed1958
Placed ByState Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, November 18th, 2016 at 9:01am PST -08:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)15S E 481664 N 4097937
Decimal Degrees37.02745000, -93.20615000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 37° 1.647', W 93° 12.369'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds37° 1' 38.82" N, 93° 12' 22.14" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)417, 314
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 1938 W McCracken Rd, Ozark MO 65721, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  9. Is the marker in the median?