Consecrated in 1858 on land donated by plantation owner Harvey Hopkins, the Episcopal Church of the Epiphany is the oldest church building still in use in New Iberia. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. One thing common to the dominant cultures of New Iberia's settlers was their strong faith. The Spanish and French brought Catholicism with them to New Iberia, while other faiths soon settled and grew their congregations. Other beautiful and historic churches in the Main Street area include:St. Peter's Catholic Churchand Rectory - 1836108 East St. Peter StreetSt. Peter's Church was built in 1836 on land donated by the Frederick Duperier family. Church Alley between Main Street and St. Peter Street was left open to fulfill the donation's provision that the church be visible from the Duperier home (located where Mt. Carmel is today).Temple Gates of Prayer - 1903106 North Weeks StreetOn April 26, 1897, the Jewish congregation was established. With help from the larger Catholic community, this one story brick Romanesque synagogue was built in 1903. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.First United Methodist Church - 1860(Rebuilt 1890, 1907)119 Jefferson StreetDedicated in March 1860, this church was completely
destroyed by fire in 1890 and again in 1907. In 1991, the church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and recognized as a Methodist Historical Site.St. Edward Catholic Church - 1917175 Ambassador LeMelleNot only was St. Edward the first parish established in the new Lafayette Diocese, but it was also the National Parish for African Americans, as well as a center for Christian education for African Americans in the rural districts of the Diocese.