St. Mary's Catholic Church
—September 28, 1864, 1:00 a.m. - 3:30 a.m. —St. Mary's Catholic Church was erected on this site in 1861. During the evacuation of the fort under the cover of darkness, some of the Union troops filed up the north rifle pit and formed in the shadow of the church created by a burning charcoal pile that had been set on fire by a shell during the battle. The church was damaged when a Union detail exploded the fort's powder magazine. The building was destroyed by a tornado in 1957.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 29th, 2016 at 1:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 708202 N 4166438|
|Decimal Degrees||37.62150000, -90.64085000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 37.29', W 90° 38.451'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 37' 17.4" N, 90° 38' 27.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 203-209 McCune St, Pilot Knob MO 63663, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|