Marcos Litche, a native of Venice, Italy and a traveling peddler, migrated to the Avoyelles Post c. 1794. Because of a broken wagon wheel, the pleasant environment, and friendliness of the Indians and local residents, he decided to stay in this area. He established a trading post and eventually became known as Marc Eliche'.
He married Julie Carmouche, daughter of Joseph Carmouche and Madeline Ducote of Pointe Coupee' Parish on May 3, 1796. Eliche' obtained Spanish land grants totaling more than 400 arpents. The area became known as "Marc's Place", "Marc's Store", and finally "Marc's Ville", and was first officially noted on U.S. survey maps in 1809. Eliche' donated most of the present courthouse square.