Middletown and the Civil War Historical

Middletown and the Civil War Historical (HM1UYT)

Location: Middletown, CT 06457 Middlesex County
Country: United States of America

N 41° 33.392', W 72° 38.863'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 82 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
By the end of the Civil War, one of every nine Middletown men wearing the Union uniform was dead. They included young David Lincoln, who gave his life in the Battle of Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862.
More than 900 soldiers and sailors from the city served during the conflict. They were the sons of old local families, as well as recent immigrants from Ireland, Germany, and England. African American men from Middletown served in the 29th Regiment Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, the state's all-black unit, and in the 31st Regiment U.S. Colored infantry.
Ninety-four Middletown soldiers joined Company B of Connecticut's 14th Regiment, which fought fiercely in nearly every major battle, beginning in 1862. The young soldiers were friends, cousins, classmates and neighbors back in Middletown. At war's wnd, only 23 remained to be mustered out. Some, like David Lincoln, were killed by Confederate bullets; others died frokm diseases that ran rampant through military camps.
By 1874, the city of Middletown erected a statue to honor her 110 soldiers and sailors who gave what Abraham Lincoln in the Gettysburg Address called "the last full measure of devotion" in the bloodiest war in American history. Sculptor Melmar Mosman created the eight-foot bronze infantry soldier scanning the horizon, in anticipation of
the battle ahead. Around the monument's base stand four twelve-pounder cannons seized from the arsenal of the Confederacy which so many Middletown sons helped to defeat.
Hundreds of Civil War volunteers left Middletown as unsophisticated teenagers, nervous and frightened, but eager to see the outside world. After months or years of fear, hunger, courage, pain and comaraderie, they returned home as men, forever changed by the horrors they had encountered.
"The Halt of the Line of Battle," etching by E. Forbes, courtesy of the Middlesex County Historical Society
Stripes On South Green

During the 1700s, New England towns used their greens for grazing livestock. Posting notices, and punishing criminals. Here on Middletown's South Green, public whippings took place from time to time well into the 1800s. Petty criminals, often transients, endured the "stripes" that public officials administered not only as punishments, but as a means of driving the criminals out of town.
This custom gradually fell into disfavor. By the 1840s, South Green had a new name: Union Park. In the ensuing decades, Middletown increasingly treated the open space as a public park, landscaping it with attractive plantings and curving sidewalks where parents pushed baby carriages and children played.
Atten-tion!

Across
Main Street from South Green stood the 1810 brick home of John R. Watkinson, an English immigrant, and his wife, Hannah Hubbard Watkinson. In 1919, the state of Connecticut purchased the Watkinson house and property to use as an armory. The old house was turned 90 degrees, and a matching structure was built to face it; then the two were joined by a long brick drill shed which faced Main Street.
Following World War II, the armory displayed a large plaque containing the names of hundreds of Middletown residents who served in the war. The National Guard used the armory until the late 20th century.
On this bridge fell good David Lincoln. Though the sight of his poor mangled form forced out our fears, his smile was beautific as he gave us words of love for his young wife. We buried him in the garden.
Chaplain Henry S. Stevens in the "Souvenier of the Excursion to Battlefields by the Society of the 14th Connecticut Regiment and Reunion at Antietam"
In 1789, Middletown resident Joshua Stow billed the town for administering a whipping to Daniel Day, a transient man, for theft.
Courtesy of the Middlesex County Historical Society
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1UYT
Tags
Placed ByThe Middlesex County Historical Society
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, October 10th, 2016 at 9:02pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18T E 696163 N 4603212
Decimal Degrees41.55653333, -72.64771667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 41° 33.392', W 72° 38.863'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds41° 33' 23.52" N, 72° 38' 51.78" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)203, 860
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling West
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 28-56 Pleasant St, Middletown CT 06457, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?