The original on-site staff housing began when the Daughters of Charity arrived in April of 1896 to care for the leprosy patients. They lived in the old plantation, indian Camp.When the U.S. Public Health Service officers took operational control of the hospital in 1921, the staff quarters were laid out on 3 streets on the upriver side of Indian Camp Plantation.In the 1920's, before staff had permanent housing. World War I army barracks were moved on site as a temporary solution. Some WWI barracks were in use until 1960 when they were finally replaced with single-story brick bungalows.In 1921, the Medical Officer in Charges' residence was the first permanent staff house built. It has a deep screened porch and a large widow's walk sitting astride the roof, In 1934, a larger wood frame and brick home was constructed across the street.The 2-story staff residences were built in the mid-1930's and are generally in neo-Georgian style. They have box-columned porches, gabled side rooflines, cornice details, dormers and projecting porticoes. The plan included 2-story duplexes as well as single family homes.Man generations of US Public Health Services officers and their families lived and grew-up on site. The doctors and PHS officers usually lived on 1st Street; the top tradesmen and their families on 2nd
or 3rd street. Bachelor Officers' Quarters were built in 1941 on 3rd Street, for single USPHS staff.The staff side of the hospital campus included a swimming pool, tennis court and a 9 hole golf course. The patients' side of the hospital campus had its own tennis and golf facilities, as well as a baseball diamond and grandstand.
Staff and Personnel
"M.O.C." is a term you will hear frequently and it refers to the "Medical Officer in Charge". He is in Command. Under his supervision and direction are various department heads and their coworkers.. Among them are Clinical Director, Chief of Medical Service, Director of Nurses, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, Laboratory, Medical Records, Librarian, Dietitian, Social Service, Administrative Officer, Community Activities, Chaplains, Personnel and Financial Management Departments, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds.