The village of Stokesville, established by 1901,
became a boomtown after the Chesapeake Western
Railway was extended here in 1902. Tram lines
into the mountains brought timber to the rail
head. Lumber mills, bark tanneries, a stave and
heading factory, and other enterprises attracted
many workers, and the town's population reached
1500 by 1905. A passenger depot, post office,
hospital, hotels, stores, and a church served the
community. Stokesville declined after 1910
as the area's timber supply dwindled.
A flood in 1949 destroyed most of its remaining structures. The town was named for the Stokes family, financial backers of the railroad.