—323-325 East Mitchell —The 325 address is no longer in existence. It was absorbed by the First National Bank expansion in 1964. In 1909 George Koulis operated the First Class Ice Cream Shop and Confectionary business on the 325 site. John Laggis who worked for Koulis bought the shop. Laggis started the Arcadia Restaurant on both the 323-325 address in 1928. George and Stella Batsakis bought the Arcadia in 1931 and operated it until 1956. The Arcadia Restaurant, complete with its famous soda fountain, soon became a downtown favorite. New owners took over the business and the Arcadia closed in 1962. Edna McCartney Danser and her family have sold children's clothing under the name of The Circus Shop at the 325 location beginning in 1949 and moved into the 323 address in 1964 after the FNB expansion. In 1997 Lynn McCartney Duse and her daughter Marnie continued the Circus Shop family tradition at 323 East Mitchell.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Little Traverse Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 20th, 2016 at 5:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 660043 N 5026539|
|Decimal Degrees||45.37408333, -84.95603333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 45° 22.445', W 84° 57.362'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||45° 22' 26.7" N, 84° 57' 21.72" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 327-393 County Rd C-58, Petoskey MI 49770, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|