First Presbyterian Church of Blairstown Historical

First Presbyterian Church of Blairstown Historical (HM1UC5)

Location: Blairstown, NJ 07825 Warren County
Country: United States of America

N 40° 59', W 74° 57.518'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 66 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription
In March of 1839, the citizens of Blairstown (then Gravel Hill) and vicinity convened for the purpose of electing trustees of a Presbyterian church. John I. Blair was made chairman and Dr. John Albright secretary. Prior to this meeting, the practicing Christians were divided between the Presbyterians and the Methodists. The Presbyterians would take part in services by traveling to nearby towns or by gathering in their homes.
Two Presbyterian churches have stood at this site. The original church was erected by the fall of 1840 on a lot that was secured from the property of Mrs. William Hankinson. The church was a substantial stone structure that had a seating capacity for two hundred people, handsomely rough-cast Gothic windows and was surmounted by a well-proportioned belfry and spire. The bell, weighing two hundred eighteen pounds, was sometimes heard up and down the Paulins Kill as far away as Stillwater and Hainesburg. The church was dedicated on December 10, 1840, with Reverend Condit preaching the sermon. By 1845, Reverend John Reiley was installed as pastor. He was also referred to as the brainchild in the founding of what is now Blair Academy.
After thirty years it was decided that a larger church would be needed, and the original church was torn down. The cornerstone was laid in 1870, and the new church was
dedicated on February 16, 1872. It has more than double the seating capacity of the original church. The old bell was removed and taken to Blair Academy where it was used as a call bell until 1897, at which time it was melted down and made into tea bells bearing the inscription "Blairstown Presbyterian Church 1840." A new bell weighing one ton was put in place and still rings weekly, signaling the start of the Sunday worship service. In August of 1874, John I. Blair presented the church with a pipe organ that was made by Jardine & Son of New York.
The First Presbyterian Church of Blairstown has seen numerous and significant changes over its lifetime, but its faith and commitment to the community it serves have never wavered.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1UC5
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, September 12th, 2016 at 9:04pm PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18T E 503479 N 4536907
Decimal Degrees40.98333333, -74.95863333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 40° 59', W 74° 57.518'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds40° 59' 0" N, 74° 57' 31.08" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)908, 201
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 1-3 Main St, Blairstown NJ 07825, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?