In April 1814, during the war of 1812, British
forces commanded by Adm. Sir George Cockburn
established Fort Albion on the southern tip of
Tangier Island. The fort, which included barracks
a hospital, a church, parade grounds, and gardens,
housed hundreds of African Americans who had
gained their freedom by escaping to the British.
Many of them enlisted as Colonial Marines and
received military training here. From this base
the British launched raids up and down the
Chesapeake Bay, including those on Washington
D.C., and Baltimore. March 1815 they left
the island and destroyed the
fort. The site is
now under water.