This rustic Episcopal chapel, constructed in 1925, held the first services on July 26 of that year. Prior to its construction, worshippers traveled 12 miles over rough roads to the town of Jackson. Today, that is just a short car ride away, but in the 1920's roads were rough and automobiles rare. Once fully constructed, the Chapel of the Transfiguration served to provide spiritual refreshment to dude ranchers, and tourists that flocked to the Chapel every Sunday to worship and gather as a community. Today, the Chapel continues to draw people, and services are held every Sunday during the summer.
Early 1920's: Maud Noble, a prominent local figure, donates part of her land for the construction of the Chapel of the Transfiguration.
1925: The Chapel is built from lodgepole pine and the pews from quaking aspen. Bishop of Wyoming consecrates the Chapel.
1963: "Spencer's Mountain," featuring Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Hara, is filmed at the Chapel and other areas in Jackson Hole
1978: President Jimmy Carter attends services at the Chapel
April 10, 1980: The Chapel is placed on the National Register of Historic Places
1995: President Bill Clinton and family attend services at the Chapel
Summer 2013: The Endowment for the
Chapel of the Transfiguration is established to insure the ministry and preservation of this exceptional treasure.