Nearby island, resort for fishermen, hunters, small boats. During the Civil War, 1861-65, used by such captains as H.C. Wedemeyer, a peacetime shipbuilder, as base for operations defying Federal blockade.
Ships loaded with cotton entered waterways around Titlum-Tatlum and hid among willows, out of range of observers with spyglasses on the tall masts of Federal blockading ships. On dark nights or in bad weather, blockade-runners would slip out of here to the open seas, hugging shores, sometimes being towed by men on land until water was reached.
Cotton taken overseas by such ships would buy for the Confederacy (hampered by lack of manufacturing facilities) guns, gunpowder, medicines, coffee, cloth, hardware and shoes. Purchases came into Texas by the same route that cotton was freighted out.
Aside from such havens as Titlum-Tatlum, blockade runners needed every advantage over the foe, for they supplied life-blood to the Confederacy. Texas gave them unstinted support: from her coast guard and from infantry and cavalry that would not let Federals land even to get drinking water or wood; so that blockade ships often had to drop duty and take off for New Orleans for supplies and repairs.