When Alexander Ralston and Elias Fordham laid out the original Mile Square Plan for Indianapolis, they set aside Square 53 for a "State House" two blocks west of what is now Monument Circle. In 1835 a first state house was completed on the site, modeled on the Parthenon in Athens. After only 30 years, the first capitol began to disintegrate and become overcrowded. A Board of State House Commissioners chose the design of Indianapolis architect Edwin May for a new state house in 1878. His design, based partially on that of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, features the Italian Renaissance architectural style, with a central dome and rotunda, classical exterior details, and wings with interior atriums adorned with three types of Renaissance columns. The façade is constructed of Indiana limestone. All three branches of state government were housed in the State House when it was completed in 1888. The Indiana General Assembly, Governor, and Indiana Supreme Court were all given imposing chambers, as were the other elected state officeholders. During the 1980s, the public areas were restored to their original impressive appearance.