This 13'8" propeller, weighing 7 tons, is from the S.S. BADGER, which was built by the Christy Corporation of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin and launched in 1952. The SPARTAN, a twin of the BADGER was built at the same time. The two carferries bear the mascot names of the University of Wisconsin and the University of Michigan State.
The S.S. BADGER is the last coal fired steam carferry operating on the Great Lakes. She is 410'6" in length; has a beam of 59'6" and a draft of 18'6". As currently configured, she can carry 620 passengers, 180 autos and a crew of 50 to 60. She has a cruising speed of 18 MPH. The BADGER runs between Manitowoc, WI and Ludington, MI seasonally.
This Propeller was donated to the Port Washington Marina By Robert Manglitz, CEO and President of the Lake Michigan Carferry Service. It stands in tribute to the hundreds of commercial freighters that once called at Port Washington.
Contributors to the Development of this Display
Linda M. Nenn and Richard D. Smith, Facilitated the donation
Bay Ship Building, Sturgeon Bay, WI
Great Lakes Boat Transport, Port Washington, WI
Modern Equipment Co., Port Washington, WI
Dennis Didier, Fabrication, Port Washington, WI
Schmitz Ready Mix, Port Washington, WI
The Cost of Propeller Take Off in 1956 was $100,000.00
Dennis L. Chreny, Harbor Master 2007