Floyd and Edna Young, residents of Wyoming for over 65 years, created the inner fence that surrounds Engine No. 1242. Floyd was a Union Pacific Engineer of this locomotive, Engine No. 1242, prior to its retirement and final move to Cheyenne in 1954.
Between the years of 1965-1975, Floyd and Edna often walked the original Union Pacific tracks (built in 1867-1868) from the eastern border of Wyoming (Pine Bluffs) to the western of Wyoming (Evanston). During these walks they collected hundreds of western relics. In 1970, with the help of their son. Floyd Jr., they began to assemble these relics, welding them into sections of fence. The last piece of fence was completed prior to Floyd's death in September 1977.
This fence originally surrounded Floyd and Edna's home in Laramie. The fence, railroad switches, marker sign, railroad crossing, and engraved sidewalks were generously donated to the Botanic Garden by their three sons, Floyd E. Young, Jr., Alvin L. Young, and Richard S. Young in memory and in honor of their parents, to all who were part of the railroad community and those who make their living working on the railroad.