The community's co-op store was located in the northeast corner of the fort. This cooperative venture, which provided a means for buying, selling and trading, became very successful. The Navajos and Utes also frequented the store, trading their wool, pelts and woven goods. Near the turn of the century, the log structure was replaced with a two-story building. The upper floor of the new store was used as the community's dance hall. In 1925, a bank robber, alias Fred Starr, used too many sticks of dynamite when attempting to open the safe. That caused the demise of both the co-op and Fred Starr.