At the Piqua Historical AreaWith the intention of becoming a "gentleman farmer," John Johnston began development of his Upper Piqua farm in 1808 with a two-story log cabin and this double pen log barn. The surrounding outer sheds were built to protect the log pens from the weather. One of the oldest structures of its kind in Ohio, the barn is built around two hand-hewn log pens, each sixty-foot square. The barn served the family's farming activities and was a storage facility for trade goods Johnston needed when the farm was the Piqua Indian Agency, 1811-1829.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Marker Number||29- 55|
|Placed By||Piqua Historical Area Friends Council The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, June 4th, 2016 at 9:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 733455 N 4451206|
|Decimal Degrees||40.17878333, -84.25805000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 10.727', W 84° 15.483'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 10' 43.62" N, 84° 15' 28.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 9845 N Hardin Rd, Piqua OH 45356, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|