The Gabreil Daveis Tavern was built in 1756 as part of a 178 acre plantation. This was the first recorded tavern along the "Irish Road", the great road leading from Gloucester Township to Great Egg Harbor. Guests could find lodging and meal for a few shillings and pence.
Notable persons who inhabited the tavern over the years include Benjamin Pittfield, 1771, a patriot leader during the Revolutionary War; Major George Payne, 1779, a patriot and owner of a privateer, a privately owned and armed ship, licensed to prey on enemy vessels; and Captain Edward Warrick, 1865, and officer during the Civil War.
The last owner was William F. Schuck who owned the property from 1923 - 1976. In his will, Mr. Schurk deeded the property to the Township of Gloucester to be preserved as a historic structure.