Scioto Ordnance Plant Site

Scioto Ordnance Plant Site (HM1S9O)

Location: Marion, OH 43302 Marion County
Country: United States of America

N 40° 38.403', W 83° 4.386'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 93 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. The member who adopted this marker listing is responsible for adding pictures.
Inscription

World War II Site

Side A On March 2, 1942, four months after the U.S. entered WWII, farmers living between Marion-Williamsport and Marseilles-Galion Roads and between State Route 98 and the Norfolk & Western Railroad were notified to vacate their farms by the first of May. This displaced approximately 126 farm families from over 12,600 acres so that a munitions factory could be built. The site included the administration area, cafeteria, fire and police stations, and a hospital, in addition to the widely dispersed powder houses and the production lines. Manufacturing began in the fall of 1942. The plant's operators included U.S. Rubber, Atlas Powder, the Permanente Metals Division of the Kaiser Corporation, Kilgore Manufacturing, and Ferro Enamel, who made bombs until August 14, 1945—VJ Day.
Side B
Women worked at the plant and served as secretaries, chauffeurs, cafeteria workers, journalists, and buyers of materials. With the manpower shortage, women took on the most dangerous jobs, including filling the M-74 cluster bombs and the 500 pound M-76 "goop" bombs. After the war, DeKalb Hatcheries bought 2,200 acres of the plant's site. The powder storage area became the Grandview Estates subdivision and new houses were built there by returning servicemen. The Marion Municipal Airport was also established. By 2008, the buildings of the former Scioto Ordnance Plant had deteriorated beyond use. Charles H. McCarthy purchased 1,100 acres of the site and he and his employees razed the remaining buildings, reclaiming the concrete from them to build new roads, and cleared the area for farmland—returning it to its original use after sixty years.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1S9O
Marker Number15- 51
Year Placed2010
Placed ByMarion County Historical Society McCarthy Corporation The Ohio Historical Society
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, May 20th, 2016 at 9:01am PDT -07:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)17T E 324698 N 4500866
Decimal Degrees40.64005000, -83.07310000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 40° 38.403', W 83° 4.386'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds40° 38' 24.18" N, 83° 4' 23.16" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)614, 740, 419
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling North
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 2622-2862 Co Hwy 174, Marion OH 43302, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. This markers needs some tags to help categorize the marker
  4. What historical period does the marker represent?
  5. What historical place does the marker represent?
  6. What type of marker is it?
  7. What class is the marker?
  8. What style is the marker?
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?